immigration law 19822 Mack Ave.• Gross Pointe Woods, MI 48236
nationality law
adjustment of status visa registration
Department of Homeland SecurityBusiness and Work VisaFamily Based Immigrant Visascommuter green card3 & 10 Year Bar to AdmissionSpecial RegistrationFAQsU.S. Citizenship
Immigrant Visa
Immigration Info
Green Card Commuter
Green Card
Extended US Absences for US Green Card Holders

Extended US Absences for US Green Card Holders:

Individuals who possess US Resident Alien status (green card) are required, in most cases, to live permanently in the US. As a result, US Immigration law does not permit green card holders to be absent from the US for extended periods. A continuous absence from the US for 180 days or more can negatively impact both green card status and the time at which an application can be made for US citizenship. A continuous absence from the US for 1 year or more can result in loss of the US green card.

Permission can be sought from the US Citizenship and Immigration Services to permit an extended absence, and limit the negative effects to US status and US citizenship eligibility. It is imperative that immigration counsel be sought before the extended absence commences.

green cards
This site and all of its contents are © Copyright 2001- , English & vanHorne, P.C., All rights reserved. [privacy policy]
Lawyer Website Design and Attorney Marketing by WebJuris
English & vanHorne -- 19822 Mack Ave, Gross Pointe Woods, MI 48236 -- 313 885-5300