immigration law 19822 Mack Ave.• Gross Pointe Woods, MI 48236
nationality law
adjustment of status visa registration
Department of Homeland SecurityBusiness and Work VisaFamily Based Immigration VisaGreen Card3 & 10 Year Bar to AdmissionSpecial RegistrationImmigration FAQsU.S. Citizenship
Immigrant Visa
Immigration Info - Immigrant Visa

US Citizenship

US Resident Aliens ("green card" holders) who have had that status for at least 5 years, may be eligible for US citizenship. US green card holders who have resided in the US for at least 3 years who have been married to the same US citizen for the last 3 years may also be eligible.

Persons applying must generally prove the following:

  • 18 years old;
  • 2 ½ years of physical presence in the US out of the last 5 years, or 1 ½ years of physical presence in the US out of the last 3 years if married to a US citizen as described above;
  • Have resided in the US for the 5 year or 3 year qualifying period;
  • Have been residing in the same area/district for the past 3 months;
  • Reside continuously in the US from the time of application until citizenship is conferred;
  • Have been and continues to be a person of "good moral character"; and
  • Have not evaded compulsory US military service.

Time spent out of the US for longer than 6 months, even when permission was sought to protect the green card for the absence, may seriously impact whether or not the applicant meets the residence requirement. This is true even if a US home was owned, and the applicant does have the required presence in the US.

Good moral character is also subject to intense immigration scrutiny, and possible citizenship denial, even for what could be viewed by the applicant as an innocent or accidental infraction of the law.

Please feel free to contact us regarding this process.

green cards
This site and all of its contents are © Copyright 2001- , English & vanHorne, P.C., All rights reserved. [privacy policy]
Lawyer Website Design and Attorney Marketing by WebJuris
English & vanHorne -- 19822 Mack Ave, Gross Pointe Woods, MI 48236 -- 313 885-5300